Saturday, January 30, 2010

Review: My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell


Why on earth are Gerald Durrell's books not better known? Or perhaps they are and I just didn't know much about them? I've never heard another reader mention this as a must read delight and yet that is exactly what it is. The book is based on his family's five years living on Corfu. It's hilarious, entertaining and even educational.

It's 1935 and England is in the midst of a grey and dreary season. How does any good British family escape such? Why by picking up and moving to the sunny Greek isle of Corfu on the recommendation of the eldest son's friend, of course. And what a good British family it is. Mother is a widow, eccentric and a bit flighty in a charming way. Larry, the eldest, is a writer and a bit of a stuffed shirt know-it-all; yes, Larry is famed author Lawrence Durrell. Leslie is a stereotypical gun-mad hunter, frequently striding out of the copses and fields with dinner. Margot is the flirty sister, interested in the local and ex-pat men around. And our author Gerry? Well, he's significantly younger than his siblings (he's only ten at the start while they are all young adults) and he's obsessed with animals, adopting them and wreaking havoc in the house and grounds. He's also a gifted writer with the impeccable timing of a truly funny comic.

Originally intended to be an account of the flora and fauna of Corfu, this is that and so much more. The antics of the Durrells and their good-natured bickering and tolerance of each others' foibles make this literally a laugh out loud book. Imagine Leslie coming downstairs in a towel immediately prior to a huge party, shivering and stammering because young Gerald has put a harmless snake in the tub with cool water to revive it from its heat stroke. There are Larry's elaborate machinations to keep Gerry's wild magpies, raised by him from babyhood, from going into Larry's room and capering about. The different colored birdie footprints in ink all across his manuscript is an image I'll be chuckling about for quite some time. There's the turtle that begs like a dog. A shallow-bottomed, oddly round boat made by Leslie named the Bootle-Bumtrinket. Two dogs named Widdle and Puke. I could go on and on.

But not all of the animal observations come via mishaps in the family. Durrell recounts his delight at finding things in their natural habitat and the care he took in examining them there. His childish curiousity was fervent and infectious. He is completely enchanted by nature in all its forms and that enchantment oozes from the very pages of the book. When the reader isn't laughing, she is reading steadily and delighting in the atmosphere and the place that is Corfu between the wars. Gorgeously written, there is a bit of nostalgia in these pages, especially as the reader knows, from the outset, that at the end, the Durrells pack up their belongings and head back to the grey skies and drizzle of England. I can't recommend this book highly enough, especially for people who like animals but also for those who appreciate well written, pastoral sorts of books or those who cherish eccentric characters and the kind of childhood that seems to be long extinct.

There's even a Masterpiece Theater production of this book. Methinks I'll have to hunt it down and and gather my family and assorted animals around to watch it in hopes it captures the wonder and the delight and the eccentricities of the book. And I will also, very definitely, be tracking down more of Mr. Durrell's books in hopes of sinking into similar, charming entertainments.

9 comments:

  1. One of my all-time favorite books. There are two more about Corfu - Birds, Beasts, and Relatives and Garden of the Gods - both wonderful. Lawrence Durrell wrote a lovely little (but very different) memoir of Corfu - Prospero's Cell. My British friends think it's weird we Americans don't know about these books because they're so ubiquitous there. Durrell's animal collecting memoirs are hysterically funny, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and loved this book in high school. Made me fall in love with Greece and the island of Corfu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, these books are buried treasure in the US. For Christmas last year a friend loaned me this book. She wrapped it up with a note that she wanted to get it for me but couldn't find it so I'd better get her copy back to her soon. It was probably one of my favorite gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I think that they may be much more well known in the British/Commonwealth type places. I remember reading and enjoying this book when I was in high school (just a few years ago now). I can't remember specifics though of course. Is it a book that would be suitable to read out loud to the modern dog and animal mad 9 year old?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one who has NOT seen this book but it sure just went on my TBR list with "blame" to you! Ha, ha, ha! I like you on your "Saturday Shout-Out" am not always good about writing down where I got the recommendation. Sigh.... Thanks for dropping by Rasco from RIF this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is one that my parents pressed into my hands and demanded that I read. They own ALL the Durrell books, and they're bigger on libraries than on buying books, usually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review! This book is the one I haven’t read yet from Gerald Durrell, although it seems to be his most famous one. I loved his other books so much, I decided to adopt an animal at his wildlife park Durrell in Jersey, certainly don’t regret doing so! Can’t wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristen,
    I just published a review of My Family and Other Animals in my book blog, and was searching around for reviews by other bloggers, when I found your blog. And what an adorable blog it is!I totally loved your book reviews. Following you now.
    Like you, I wish I had discovered Gerald Durrell earlier...
    Would you like to come over and read my review? My blog is fairly new, but I’m working hard on it. The review is at http://riversihaveknown.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/my-family-and-other-animals-a-review/
    Please also read the other reviews as well and leave your comments. And if you like the blog, please please follow!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts