Monday, January 11, 2010

Review: Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery


What a delightful story. Anne of Green Gables will always own my heart with her flights of fancy but Emily of New Moon can have a sliver of it too, showing that Montgomery could write more than one charming young girl series. The book opens with Emily being told, rather brutally, that her father is dying. Never having gone to school and having had her mother die when she was very small, her father has been Emily's whole world. After his death, her mother's estranged relatives come to collect her and draw straws to see which of them will have to take her, they being the Murrays and always concerned with doing the proper thing as a result of their pride. Emily and her Aunt Elizabeth get off on the wrong foot as Emily knows she is simply a duty to Elizabeth, not a dearly beloved niece but there is hope in the shape of Aunt Laura and Cousin Jimmy. This tale of Emily's life the first several years at New Moon Farm is charming and Emily is, in her own way, as appealing a little miss as Anne, writing poetry and novels (her worry about how to spring one of her characters from a convent, not being Catholic herself and so not quite certain of the rules governing convents, is quite funny) and giving her heart to those who will only love her back. The book also contains delightful stories about the inhabitants of rural PEI, their hopes and dreams and the way that the community intereacts. The book is probably old-fashioned but for those children who appreciate the historical and would like to have had the chance to read by candlelight or wear pinafores and button-up boots, this will be a happy reading experience. I wish I'd found it when I was devouring all the Anne books but I am just as happy to be reading it now as an adult, enjoying the simplicity and sense of peace that pervades the story telling. I will definitely be reading the remaining books in the trilogy.

12 comments:

  1. I think my daughter would really enjoy this. She tends to like old-fashioned books. I's like to read Anne of Green Gables with her first, though, since it is better known.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing lately that these are god. I was always so faithful to Ann, but I might have to give Emily a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I love, love, LOVE the Emily books! They were always missing from my older sister's bookshelf when I was younger because I was constantly rereading them. I need to read them again soon. It's been YEARS since the last time I picked them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! and Pat of Silver Bush is another fantastic short series by L.M. Montgomery. There are only two books to her series. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne of Green Gables has been my favorite since I was a small child ! I have read this book but it has been way too long and I've forgotten alot of of it. I guess I need to sort through my boxes and pull it back out again. LM Montgomery sure was talented !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I owned it and Anne of Green Gables in 5th grade, but did not get into them until Adulthood myself. The first try at them in 5th grade was not successful, but I devoured them in my early 20's. I loved all three Emily books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy Maud Montgomery rocks :-) I like seeing her get some love in the blogoverse!

    Glad to see you enjoyed Emily of New Moon so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new one to me and it sounds delightful! I am adding it to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Emily books are one of my favorite series! I'm so glad to see a review of Emily of New Moon. As a writer, I must admit that I like Emily even more than Anne. It's time for me to re-read them all.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read Anne of Green Gables, but how about I didn't even realize Montgomery had written other stuff. Never looked I guess. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read through the Emily books (for the first time) last year for the challenge and I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts