Monday, May 11, 2009

Mailbox Monday


It was another slow book week at Casa K. but that's okay. It was a slow motivation week here as well so I'm no closer to any of my reading goals.

This week, the first book to arrive in my mailbox was the gorgeously jacketed Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Julie Metz. This came from Hyperion and amazon has this to say about it:

Julie Metz's life changes forever on one ordinary January afternoon when her husband, Henry, collapses on the kitchen floor and dies in her arms. Suddenly, this mother of a six-year-old is the young widow in a bucolic small town. And this is only the beginning. Seven months after Henry's death, just when Julie thinks she is emerging from the worst of it, comes the rest of it: She discovers that what had appeared to be the reality of her marriage was but a half-truth. Henry had hidden another life from her.

"He loved you so much." That's what everyone keeps telling her. It's true that he loved Julie and their six-year-old daughter ebulliently and devotedly, but as she starts to pick up the pieces and rebuild her life without Henry in it, she learns that Henry had been unfaithful throughout their twelve years of marriage. The most damaging affair was ongoing--a tumultuous relationship that ended only with Henry's death. For Julie, the only thing to do was to get at the real truth--to strip away the veneer of "perfection" that was her life and confront each of the women beneath the veneer.

Perfection is the story of Julie Metz's journey through chaos and transformation as she creates a different life for herself and her young daughter. It is the story of coming to terms with painful truths, of rebuilding both a life and an identity after betrayal and widowhood. It is a story of rebirth and happiness--if not perfection.


Next into my mailbox (well, balanced nicely on my shoes in the garage since the UPS folks seem to like making me hunt for their deliveries instead of propping them easily at the front door) came Men With Balls by Drew Magary. Isn't the cover hysterical? Yes, I've been living with a former frat boy for way too long. What can I say? This book was a contest win from Sandie over at Booksie's Blog. And she's got another giveaway going on right now for anyone interested. I'd post the description of this one but you'd probably all wonder why I was tickled enough to enter the giveaway and we can't have you questioning my shred of sanity now can we?! Suffice it to say, it should make me laugh, I hope.

12 comments:

  1. Oh it's been a slow week for me too. Men with Balls sounds funny. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute cover on the man book! Perfection looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received Perfection too..can't wait to read it. Men with Balls...LOL!!! love that title :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol yes that 2nd cover is too great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cover of Perfection is just beautiful and I hope Men With Balls is as funny inside as the cover indicates.
    Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover! happy reading...

    here's my mailbox: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/05/mailbox-monday-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you enjoy your new books! I love the cover of Perfection. My Mailbox is here.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfection sounds like a tough read, can't wait to read your review! Men with Balls - just the title makes me laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping to get Perfection, but it looks like I won't. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also got Perfection! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I received Perfection as well - isn't the cover beautiful!!

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts