Combining both his own experiences trying to solve the riddle of where Fenn left his treasure with the history of the hunt, positive and negative, and the community surrounding the hunt, especially the most well-known searchers, Barbarisi looks at what compels people to join in a hunt of this kind, some even to the point of bankrupting themselves, and what compels a person like Forrest Fenn, eccentric as he was, to create the hunt in the first place. He is even-handed and fair in his reporting on the culture, the rumors, and the mythology of the search for Fenn’s treasure. Getting involved as a searcher himself gives the recounting a nice, participatory first person aspect that pure reportage would not have offered. There is some repetition here and there remain some unanswered questions but overall, this was an engaging read about a fascinating cultural phenomenon. Just don’t do too much research into it before reading if you want to maintain the rising tension of the tale.
Sunday, January 25, 2026
Review: Chasing the Thrill by Daniel Barbarisi
Combining both his own experiences trying to solve the riddle of where Fenn left his treasure with the history of the hunt, positive and negative, and the community surrounding the hunt, especially the most well-known searchers, Barbarisi looks at what compels people to join in a hunt of this kind, some even to the point of bankrupting themselves, and what compels a person like Forrest Fenn, eccentric as he was, to create the hunt in the first place. He is even-handed and fair in his reporting on the culture, the rumors, and the mythology of the search for Fenn’s treasure. Getting involved as a searcher himself gives the recounting a nice, participatory first person aspect that pure reportage would not have offered. There is some repetition here and there remain some unanswered questions but overall, this was an engaging read about a fascinating cultural phenomenon. Just don’t do too much research into it before reading if you want to maintain the rising tension of the tale.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
This title makes me want to mimic monster truck commercials. MASSIVE, Massive, massive. BOOK, Book, book. GIVEAWAY, Giveaway, giveaway. ...
-
Cinco de Mayo is not the celebration of Mexican Independence. It's actually a regional celebration celebrating the victory of Mexican f...
-
I know, right? Two things. 1.) I am well aware that I am quite probably the last person on the planet to read this book and therefore you ...
-
As the title might suggest, this is a very graphic memoir, by turns equally salacious and detached. The critics found it highbrow, claiming...
-
Welcome to this month's Monday Mailbox , the meme started by Marcia and currently on tour around the internet. This month is my month t...
-
Read the synopsis: When Rebecca Brown goes to New Orleans to stay with her voodoo-obsessed aunt, she finds the beautiful city haunted by the...
-
I first read Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum more than 20 years ago and was impressed by the creativity and writing ta...
-
Thanks to the lovely folks at Hachette Books I am giving away three copies of The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker. This ...
-
It's still officially my unbirthday month at one of my online groups affiliated with On the Porch Swing , a great group if you are looki...
-
Today being Black Friday and all, some of you are probably out scouring the stores for the best possible deals for the special people on you...

No comments:
Post a Comment
I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.