Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Salon: Update on the summer reading

Just before Memorial Day I wrote up my list of summer reading. A month into my version of summer (and now just past the official first calendar day of summer), I thought I'd check in and see what I've accomplished towards my goal so far. And because I'm not one to rest on my laurels, I'm adding the goal of getting those that I do read all reviewed in a reasonably timely manner. I don't yet have an end date in mind for this additional goal but maybe Halloween since the summer in my version runs through Labor Day. Here's what I've done so far:

Books I've read from the original list:

A Half Forgotten Song by Katherine Webb
A Far Piece to Canaan by Sam Halpern
Big Brother by Lionel Shriver
Out Love Could Light the World by Anne Leigh Parrish
The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth Silver
The Book of Someday by Dianne Dixon
David by Ray Robertson
Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck
The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell
Someone by Alice McDermott
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Sinners and the Sea by Rebecca Kanner
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Surprising Lord Jack by Sally MacKenzie

Books I've read not from the original list:

Love All by Callie Wright

Original list books I still haven't read:

The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg
The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy
The Exiles by Allison Lynn
This Is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakuawila
Race Across the Sky by Derek Sherman
The Purchase by Linda Spalding
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Mary Coin by Marisa Silver
The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls
The House Girl by Tara Conklin
Dancing to the Flute by Manisha Jolie Amin
The Innocents by Francesca Segal
A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Billy Budd and Other Tales by Herman Melville
Happy Rock by Matthew Simmons
Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers by Louise Rennison
Topsy by Michael Daly
Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde
Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington
The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shobhan Bantwal

So it looks like I'm doing really, really well with my original list, which makes me happy. Of course, as noted above in one category, I snuck in a book not on the original list and there will probably be a few more of those popping in now and again because while I am mostly a rule follower and a list completer, I do occasionally rebel just to keep everyone around me on their toes. ;-) How are all of you doing with your summer reading? If you made a list, are you following it or ignoring it? If you didn't make a list, are you happy with the reading you've done so far?

3 comments:

  1. You've got a fantastic book list! I've bookmarked your page, so I can go to it when I'm in a book slump :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so well! Congratulations! Mary Coin is a book I'm also hoping to read soon. Keep it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing well! The only firm list I'm working from is the list of all the ARCs I've agreed to read, which is plenty long enough to keep me busy! Other than that, I pick from my (over-long) Goodreads to-read list or something I've got on hand.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts