Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Review: Meeting Mr. Wrong by Stephanie Snowe


Stephanie Snowe was handed lemons and she's made it into lemonade, spiked lemonade, in this entertaining account of re-entering the dating world after her cheating husband left her while she was pregnant with twins. Each of the chapters in this short, quite funny book details another of Snowe's disastrous dates. The men she finds on the internet are hilarious in their complete awfulness. And their total unsuitability is only funnier given that Snowe herself was brutally honest in her description of herself in hopes that she would maybe find a nice man who didn't have any unreasonable requests.

Snowe is not really a stereotypical Southern belle, although it was gold when her mother suggested that she needed to cultivate an interest in NASCAR in order to find herself a man. She could, instead, start a successful career as a stand-up comic with her throw-away comments and sass. The tone of this book is conversational and chipper, snarky and entertaining. Reading this feels like you're sitting with Snowe and dishing the dirt on each dreadful date while you laugh and drink wine and laugh some more. It's hard to believe that someone endured all those bad dates and cheesy lines but I'm glad she did or we wouldn't have this light bit o' fun. An easy and quick read, this will please the chick lit set even if it is a memoir rather than fiction.

Stephanie Snowe is a North Carolina author.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! :)

    (The book is set in NC, but I'm a TN girl now)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun book. I am an old North Carolinian myself, transplanted to Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a tape dispenser on the cover with the snail? LOL

    This sounds like a good fun read I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have a happy holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really cute! Nice review.
    Alayne
    http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fantastic book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts