Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday Mailbox

It's still officially my unbirthday month at one of my online groups affiliated with On the Porch Swing, a great group if you are looking for more booktalk delivered directly to your mailbox and so I am still finding lovely surprises in the mailbox from my bookish friends. This past week's mailbox arrivals include:

Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire by Margot Berwin came from Marsha for my unbirthday month.
I have the complete opposite of a green thumb and yet I can never resist books that deal with exotic plants. Rare plants locked in a laundromat? A main character who has the chance to see and learn about these plants but blows her opportunity, thereby setting out on a journey into the jungle? I may be an easy sell, but there's everything enticing about this premise, don't you think?

Dune Road by Jane Green came from Marsha for my unbirthday month.
I do, unashamedly admit I enjoy chick lit. And Jane Green writes it beautifully. Add in a tale that includes a reclusive writer and it's a sure thing this was going to find its way into my library at some point.

The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan came from Linda for my unbirthday month.
I have seen so many good reviews of this one that I just couldn't resist. It was glowingly mentioned to me this summer by a lovely member of my summer book club who passed away this week and I had told her I definitely wanted to read it. I'm sure I will think of her as I turn its pages.

The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnsoncame from Linda for my unbirthday month.
What's not enticing about a woman who receives a book with faint diary entries in the margin written by a woman many centuries ago? I would totally go off to try and track down more of the story too. And since that's not a reality in my life, I'm glad to have this book now in order to do it vicariously though its pages instead.

Best Intentionswas a contest win at J. Kaye's Book Blog.
A thriller about marriage. No, really. Should make for some interesting reading. And I have read and enjoyed earlier Listfield novels so I'm curious to see if my older self still likes her style.

The Kids Are All Right by Amanda Welchcame from Jenny for my unbirthday month.
A memoir of kids orphaned in their teens and their subsequent lives, this appeals to me for morbid reasons. Plus I like memoirs and anything quirky gives a memoir a leg up in my book.

Swish by Joel Derfnercame from Jenny for my unbirthday month.
I saw this in Shelf Awareness and clicked through to the author's website. He's funny. I mean really funny. So I e-mailed him and told him that if he was as funny in the book as on his site, I would definitely need his book. He tells me he's even funnier. And then Jenny sent me the book so I didn't have to wait to get it until the book buying freeze is over. Yippee!

The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel and Nancy Garfinkelcame from Caitlin at FSB Associates.
I love food and I love epistolary novels. Epistolary novels that include recipes are just the pinnacle of that love affair so of course this will be the book for me.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Marcia at The Printed Page and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

19 comments:

  1. They all look great. I'm going to check out The Earth Hums in B Flat - that's a new title for me. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun unbirthday month! I saw Swish on Shelf Awareness too & thought it looked great. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your new books look good, but I really want to read The Recipe Club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i like the idea of the unbirthday month... I'm curious about the recipe club!
    Here's my Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin...what is this unbirthday month all about?...LOL

    So many great titles. I put The Kids are All Right on reserve at the library, and I have Recipe Club and The Earth Hums in B Flat (unread).

    Enjoy all these goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there are a ton of great titles here. happy reading...here's my mailbox: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/10/mailbox-monday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look great. I have Best Intentions but my good intentions of reading it haven't followed through yet! lol
    Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy my share (maybe more) of chick lit, but Jane Green has been hit or miss with me. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted my comment under the wrong post, but you know what I meant...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm especially interested in The Tenth Gift. The cover of Swish caught my eye too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many good books, where do you start? thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! I've heard great things about Berwin's novel. Like you, I don't have a green thumb but the book sounds interesting.

    Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how fun! Lots of great new unbirthday books. :) I can't wait to read the Recipe Club. I flipped through it the other day and there are lots of great recipes in there.

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! A wonderful week of unbirthday gifts. I like how you added that we are helping the USPS - another good rationalization, I mean, reason to keep mooching and buying books online.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great books! They all look like really great reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great assortment of books. I hope you enjoy them all.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great suggestions! I'll definitely add a few of these to my list : )

    I have a suggestion for you too! I think you would really love a book I wrote called 'Knickles and Dimes'. It's a fun read, with laugh-out-loud characters and a great story. I hope you'll check it out!

    http://www.eloquentbooks.com/KnicklesAndDimes.html

    Thanks for the suggestions!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts