Monday, October 19, 2009

Mailbox Monday

It's still officially my unbirthday month at one of my online groups affiliated with On the Porch Swing, a great group if you are looking for more book talk delivered directly to your mailbox and so I am still finding lovely surprises in the mailbox from my bookish friends. And while it looks like I've gone back to being bad about requesting or accepting books before I get myself caught up on the backlog, I promise this is not the case! I blame this week on the vagaries of the USPS (but I can't be too grouchy since I appreciate all they do and love getting books too, so...). This past week's mailbox arrivals include:

Meeting Mr. Wrong: The Romantic Misadventures of a Southern Belle by Stephanie Snowe came from Swan for my unbirthday month.
I like quirky, offbeat memoirs so one about a woman who posts an honest, no-holds barred ad on her re-entry into the dating pool totally picqued my interest. I don't know if she's found Mr. Right, but I'm looking forward to going along for the ride.

Breaking the Bank by Yona Zeldis McDonough came from Swan for my unbirthday month.
An ATM that magically dispenses money (without deducting the money from an account), really? How can I get one of these for myself?! Oh yeah, and the book looks cute too.

The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan came from Trish at TLC Book Tours for a tour.
I enjoyed Marley and Me and figured that Grogan's memoir of growing up and coming of age would be touching as well.

Alex and Me by Irene Pepperbergcame from Trish at TLC Book Tours for a tour.
I read about Alex the parrot in the news a couple of years ago I think and thought at the time that it was rather fascinating. Tales of the intelligence found in the animal world do grab my attention, even though my own fur-baby is dumber than a box of rocks.

Spellbinder by Helen Stringer came from the publisher via Shelf Awareness.
I thought this story of a girl who can speak to ghosts, including her own parents, looked cute, not scary, and quite possibly a good read for my tween daughter. Of course, I'll be reading it too because it looks like fun.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Marcia at The Printed Page and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

18 comments:

  1. Meeting Mr. Wrong looks like loads of fun, Happy reading :)


    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read The Longest Road Home. Are you enjoying the recipe club?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Longest Trip Home is so good, but make sure you have a box of tissues handy when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books! Alex and Me has caught my eye a few times now. I'll have to watch for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first one sounds funny :D
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great batch of books. Spellbinder caught my eye, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meeting Mr. Wrong sounds great - I'm adding it to my list.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spellbinder sounds cute, and my niece just might really enjoy that one. Hope it is wonderful.

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meeting Mr. Wrong sounds like a fun read : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meeting Mr. Wrong looks like a fun read. Also I really enjoyed Breaking the Bank -- it is a modern day adult fairytale.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meeting Mr Wrong has such a cute cover, looking forward to your review on that one! I really enjoyed Marley and Me too so will be interested to see what you think of The Longest Trip Home.
    Alex and me sounds like a gorgeous read! Awesome mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe, seeing Alex makes me sad. That bird was so smart. I even had an African Grey like Alex.. and they truly are intelligent (but very, very territorial/jealous) I didn't know she came out with a book. Awe, I will have to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a lot going on on Mondays and all of it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another week of great-sounding titles! I'm still accepting review copies here and there, but I'm pickier these days. Happy reading!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts