Thursday, October 15, 2009

Review: That Summer by Sarah Dessen


Haven is fifteen and her summer is turning out to be rotten. Opening with a view of her mother elbow deep in dirt gardening on the day Haven's father, a local sportscaster, gets married to the weather girl (not so fondly nicknamed "the Weather Pet" by Haven's mother) from his station, things are really not going Haven's way. Not only has her father re-married, but Haven's best friend goes away to camp and changes drastically, her sister's upcoming wedding is turning her into a terrible Bridezilla, and Haven herself feels like a freak thanks to her unusual height. When one of her sister's ex-boyfriends shows up, Haven latches onto him, thinking that the summer when Sumner was around was a golden time in their family. Alternating between her memories of that summer two years ago and the present summer, this is the story of a young girl facing major changes both outside of her control and within herself.

Dessen has nicely captured the pain and humiliation of being fifteen and her portrayal of Haven's longing for a past summer when things looked so much rosier is poignant. Some of the minor characters are a bit over the top though. Haven's sister is a selfish monster and is allowed to be a ridiculous, shrewish brat for a very long time given her age and imminent marriage herself. Haven's best friend turns from good girl to love-struck teen rebel seemingly overnight. And Haven's mother's portrayal as the newly divorced going out on the town without considering her 15 year old daughter struggling to cope with all the changes is a bit far fetched. But despite the stereotypical characterizations of these minor characters, the book will still resonate with teens, especially those who are searching for the person into whom they want to grow. Light and easily read, I can see why Dessen is a recommended read for the late middle school, early high school set. Overall, it's a nice read.

6 comments:

  1. Hi. I just started reading this book and I completely <3 it! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Sarah Dessen and this is one of the first of her books I read. I love how well she writes teen girls - better than a lot of YA authors, in my opinion. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the Dessens that I haven't read yet. I do think she really writes young girls well and she definately knows what's up with the love interests and how that first falling in love feels, the good and the confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of Dessen's books. This sounds like one teenage girls could really relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I've just read my first Sarah Dessen book, Along For the Ride (and really enjoyed it) but I think there are a couple of others I'd read of hers before this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have decided to read this book for a book report im doing at school its a 5 pg book report and my friend read this book she said its boring because there is no climax or plot the only climax is when the girl runs away. I thought ok thats her opinion let me red it and see for my self its a great book but its a middle school book and im in high school

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts