Sunday, September 9, 2012

Monday Mailbox

Welcome to this month's Monday Mailbox, the meme started by Marcia and currently on tour around the internet. This month is my month to host this wonderful green-eyed monster inspiring meme. Yay!

As expected, I did in fact have books waiting for me when I got back from my less than successful vacation last week. They look so appealing that it almost makes up for the pain and suffering (busted eardrum anyone?!) I endured. This past week's mailbox arrivals:

In Need of a Good Wife by Kelly O'Connor McNees came from Berkley.
Tales about mail order brides have always fascinated me so this one about a broker and two of the women she's recruited and the way in which all three look to change their lives for the better definitely interests me.

The Unfinished Garden by Barbara Claypole White came from Mira.
I wish I didn't have a black thumb and was able to create a beautiful garden but since I can't, reading about two people brought together over the creation of one will be the second best thing.

The Book of Neil by Frank Turner Hollon came from Meryl Zegarek PR.
When Jesus comes again, will he rob a bank to get the attention of the media obsessed culture we've become? He does in this novel and I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

The Headmaster's Wager by Vincent Lam came from Hogarth.
A novel about a headmaster whose loyalty to family and his lover are tested as the fighting in Vietnam draw ever closer to Saigon, this promises to have elements of so many things I enjoy reading about.

Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes by Betsy Woodman came from Holt.
Eccentric, fun characters, an Indian hill town setting, and a Scottish woman determined to save the small town from the government's plan to drown it under a dam, this one sounds like a highly entertaining read.

All Gone by Alex Witchel came from Riverhead Books and LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The memoir of a daughter coming to terms with her mother's dementia through cooking old family recipes, I am really looking forward to this despite knowing that it will be heart wrenching.

Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie came from William Morrow.
A woman presumed dead has to decide whether she wants to reclaim her life, doesn't the premise of this novel by McKenzie sounds intriguing? And I liked the last of her novels I read so this one should be good too.

What sorts of goodies did you get in your mailbox this week? Click below to add yourself to the linky so we can all share in your good fortune. And I hope you'll leave me a comment as well. Happy reading this week!

25 comments:

  1. These all sound good! I wouldn't know where to start! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice selection of books! Forgotten looks really good to me. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,

    Quite a few folks seem to have the Catherine McKenzie books, however no-one has yet posted a review, although they do look interesting.

    The other couple of your selection which particularly caught my eye are,'In Need Of A Good Wife' and 'The Unfinished Garden'.

    That's three more for my list, so thanks for highlighting those and I hope that you enjoy all your books, great haul this week.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a plentiful mailbox and many of them do look enticing. Sorry to read that your vacation was interrupted by pain. I hope you are feeling better. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mail order bride stories are so fascinating I hope you enjoy all your books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got In Need of a Good Wife the week before and am really excited about it. The Unfinished Garden and All Gone look great to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of your books are "new to me" but look quite interesting. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mailbox books! I enjoyed The Unfinished Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of pretty covers! I loved McNees last book, hope you enjoy her new one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like reading about mail order brides too! Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes has a lovely cover -enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Unfinished Garden looks good to me....and Forgotten is heading my way soon. Love this author!

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you got some good books this week! I made a small mistake in my link - I'm NOT offering a giveaway - but I did announce the winner from last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some great books this week! I made a small error in my link above - I'm NOT offering a giveaway this week, but I did announce the winner from last week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Mailbox! Not my normal genre, but Forgotten sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful assortment of books you have! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had my eye on The Unfinished Garden! Hope you love it and that your ear heals fast!

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks like you got some good reads; I wonder if Headmaster's wager is a book that should be on the Vietnam War list at War Through the Generations or not....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you have a lot of good reads. I wonder if Headmaster's Wager should be on the Vietnam War book list or not at War Through the Generations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man! You got like, a whole shelf's worth this week, lol! I read about The Headmaster's Wager on Goodreads; it looks good!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They all sound great, but in particular In Need of a Good Wife and The Headmaster's Wager sound intriguing! I'd quite like to read All Gone too, but my Grandad has Dementia and I'm not sure if I'd find it too emotional. I look forward to seeing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  21. In Need of a Good Wife looks really good. Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You got some great books. ALL GONE caught my eye because I work with seniors with dementia. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You got some great books. ALL GONE caught my eye because I work with seniors who have dementia. Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts