Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday Mailbox

This past week's mailbox arrivals:

The Flicker of Old Dreams by Susan Henderson came from Harper Perennial.

There's something enticing about small town stories so this one about a dying town, a woman who stayed there to take over the family mortuary business, and the younger brother blamed for his star athlete brother's death years ago who has now returned to town to care for his mother should be completely engrossing.

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center came from St. Martin's Press.

I do like stories where someone's life changes in an instant and they are pushed to find the strength to become a new person so this one should suit me perfectly.

Half Gods by Akil Kumarasamy came from FSG.

Sri Lanka fascinates me. Linked short stories make me happy. This has a ton of promise!

The Subway Girls by Susie Orman Schnall came from St. Martin's Griffin.

Since I once flirted with a career in advertising, this story about a 1949 Miss Subways contestant and a modern day advertising executive whose stories come together really hits direct center in my interests.

The Removes by Tatjana Soli came from Sarah Crichton Books/FSG.

Soli's last novel was amazing so I can't wait to crack this one about the early days of the west, Custer's wife, and a young white woman who lives as a member of the Cheyenne tribe open.

Suicide Club by Rachel Heng came from Henry Holt.

I don't think I'd want to live forever but the concept is interesting enough that I am completely curious about this novel about a woman who could live forever or could choose to live her life but then also die.

The Summer I Met Jack by Michelle Gable came from Sarah Crichton Books/FSG.

A novel about a woman who had a summer romance with JFK when she worked for his family and the effect that one summer had on her life even as she moved on, this promises to be fascinating indeed.

The Patchwork Bride by Sandra Dallas came from Minotaur.

I've liked other Sandra Dallas book so I am looking forward to this one about a woman who goes west to find love and marriage.

Nothing Good Can Come of This by Kristi Coulter came from MCDxFSG Originals.

Essays from an author who gave up drinking and noticed that her perspective on all sorts of things changed as a result, this looks really cool.

The Lost for Words Bookshop by Stephanie Butland came from Thomas Dunne Books.

About an introverted character working in a bookshop who has unexpected people and deliveries come into her life, how could I not want to read this one?!

Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson came from Flatiron Books.

An epistolary novel about a Danish museum curator and a British farm wife who write to each other about the famous Tollund Man and come to know and care for each other through their letters, be still my heart!

If you want to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts