Monday, May 31, 2010

Monday Mailbox

One of these weeks my mailbox is going to be empty enough that I can start making inroads into all the great books I already have stacked up to read. This past week was not that week. I got another slew of great sounding books. This past week's mailbox arrivals:

The One That I Want by Allison Winn Scotch came from Crystal at BookSparks PR.
A woman whose life seems perfect after early heartbreak, Tilly is given a gift of clarity, allowing her to glimpse the future. But it's a future she doesn't want to see and certainly not one she wishes to have come true. Imagine the possibilities here!

The Patience Stone by Atiq Rahimi came from the publisher.
The 2008 Prix Goncourt winner, this is the story of a Muslim woman who is nursing her comatose husband and confessing secrets to him as she cares for him. One review mentions Duras, Sartre, Beckett, and Hemingway and I'm curious to see how this fits in the footsteps of such giants.

The Last Rendezvous by Anne Plantagenet came from the publisher.
The fictionalized life of a female French romantic poet, I enjoy reading about literary figures who might not have crossed my path before and this one sounds great.

The Quickening by Michelle Hoover came from the publisher.
Two midwestern farming couples during the Depression, the jacket copy and the cover art make this sound like a Dust Bowl kind of book, something quite unusual these days at least as far as newly published books go. And I'm always interested in reading the exceptions to the trends.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Marcia at The Printed Page and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

6 comments:

  1. I have The Quickening on my wish list. I thought It sounded good and different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen: Glad to see you snagged a copy of The Quickening...I am really eager to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting books. I haven't heard of any, so let me go check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm craving The One That I Want :) All your books look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you got some great books...happy reading

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts