Thursday, April 24, 2008

Early Mid-Life Crisis

So I had an early mid-life crisis last night. Another way to look at it is to say I was seized by a fit of temporary insanity. Or maybe I just need something besides the upcoming move to obsess over. Whatever you call it, what happened was this: I signed up to run the Nike Women's Marathon in October in San Francisco. It all sounded so logical when I was sitting surrounded by friends, drinking wine, eating cheesecake, and listening to another friend wax poetic about how much fun it would be if we all did this wonderful and impressive thing together. I'm a lot more apprehensive in the cold light of day! I guess it's a good thing I wrote a check to commit myself last night so I can't waffle my way out of it now. And I do think it will be a good thing. It's a great cause and I've been talking about running a full marathon ever since last year so this should be the push I need to actually go for it. Although the word of the day in my e-mail inbox this morning does give me pause: inanition--meaning "the exhausted condition that results from lack of food and water." Good thing I don't believe in signs!

Oh, and I'm doing the marathon through Team in Training so I have to raise beaucoup bucks in order to do this. On the off chance that any of you strangers who read my blog would like to donate (I know there are probably only two of you at most, but...) just leave a comment and I'll send you the link to my fundraising site once it's up. As for family and friends who claim to read this, well, you'll get personalized desperate e-mails from me. If you act surprised, I'll know you don't really read the blog. ::grin:: And as an added incentive to donate, it's all tax deductable. Just think what a better tax deduction it is than having kids. You don't have to feed it, educate it, or have it mouth off to you. Your initial investment is all it takes--unless of course you'd like to donate early and donate often, which I won't discourage either. So you benefit, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society benefits, and I benefit (I mean, have you ever seen any fat runners? Me neither.). At the very least, wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts