Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday Mailbox

Sometimes it's good to only have book in the mail, giving me a chance to catch up on those that have preceded it. This past week's mailbox arrival:

The Courtesan by Alexandra Curry came from Dutton.

The idea of courtesans and concubines have always fascinated me with the way that they are often simultaneously given more knowledge and freedoms than other women and yet so dependent and constrained by their very position so this tale of a Chinese concubine whose sympathy for the West, cultivated on diplomatic trips with her husband, puts her in danger in a changing China is very appealing to me.

If you want to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

1 comment:

  1. Intriguing. Have you read Mingmei Yip's novels of courtesans in Shanghai?

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts