Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday Salon: In which I am busy but not really with books

This past week was a full one for me. Normally my weeks are full of books but that was not the case at all. I seem to have been circling around my reading but not really touching it for whatever reason. Instead of adventures in books, I played tennis every day this past week. I took a cooking class where we made panna cotta topped with macerated peaches, frangipane for almond and fruit tarts, and eclairs with a whipped chocolate filling. I went to see a strange and vaguely unsettling version of the Sleeping Beauty ballet. I had lunch with several different friends on several different days. I went to the high school PTSO meeting. I went shopping for some completely unnecessary items (including a new Christmas tree since ours from the past ten years gave up the ghost last year). I went to one of my book club's November meeting. And I did my usual rounds driving kids to and from activities every night. Normally I'd have squeezed reading in between all of these other things too. But this week, I just didn't. No excuses, no regrets, just a curious state of affairs.

My bookmarks haven't really made any progress through anything this week as I am still visiting with the African American modiste who became close friends with Mary Todd Lincoln and I am still immersed in the amazing confluence of events that happened in the summer of 1927. I did manage to complete my visit with a quirky young Jewish woman who inherits a fish service from her aunt and becomes the repository of the stories of an entire town from before WWII told to her by a seemingly random older woman in Israel. Where did your reading take you this week?

3 comments:

  1. I'm in France this week (most of this year, actually, that's what comes of traveling) -- Brave Genius took me through WWII into the tumultuous 60s and I've gone back in time to WWI with The Cartographer of No Man's Land.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounded like you had a great week and you shouldn't have any regrets or worry about excuses :). As for my own reading, I only read one book this past week and it was at the end of the week: Police by Jo Nesbo. It was really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a good week. Sometimes we just can't get any reading done. :)

    I finished THE OUTCASTS and am almost done with ONCE WE WERE BROTHERS. Review of THE OUTCASTS is on my blog. The review of ONCE WE WERE BROTHERS will be up this evening when I finish the book.

    ENJOY your upcoming week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts