Monday, November 29, 2010

Monday Mailbox

Just when I think the mailbox is likely to be forlorn all week, goodies arrive and perk my day up instantly! This past week's mailbox arrival:

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown came from Amy Einhorn Books via LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Three literarily named sisters come home to take care of their sick mother and are horrified to find each other. A nutty family of readers and the secrets they have hidden, this sounds like a great one, doesn't it?!

Shoes Hair Nails by PosiDeborah Batterman came from the author.
A collection of short stories centering on relationships, Batterman says the book "bridges the boundaries of literary women's fiction and chick lit" and that right there sold me on it.

Island Girl by Lynda Simmons came from Elizabeth at Berkley.
A book about family dynamics in the face of early onset Alzheimer's, this one sounds like it could be one of those books I should read when I need a cathartic cry. Regardless of when I read it, it sounds enthralling.

Mr. Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt came from The Dial Press.
I'm interested to see how Mr. Chartwell and the darkness of depression connect Winston Churchill and a young House of Commons librarian in this intriguing novel.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Julie of Knitting and Sundries as she is hosting this month's Mailbox Monday and Kristi at The Story Siren who hosts In My Mailbox and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

6 comments:

  1. The Weird Sisters sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I wanted to get a copy of The Weird Sisters. Look forward to what you think!

    My Mailbox Monday is here: http://tbfreviews.net/2010/11/29/mailbox-monday-11-29-10/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received for review Season of Seduction by Jennifer Haymore from The Book Tree.

    Although the widowed Lady Rebecca has sworn off marriage, men are another matter. London's cold winter nights have her dreaming of warmer pursuits-like finding a lover to satisfy her hungry heart. Someone handsome, discreet, and most importantly as uninterested in marriage as she is. Someone like Jack Fulton.

    A known adventurer and playboy, Jack seems like the perfect choice. There's just one problem: Jack isn't interested in an affair. He needs the beautiful, mysterious Lady Rebecca to be his wife. And he doesn't have much time to persuade her. A secret from Jack's past is about to surface, and by Christmas Day he'll be either married to Rebecca or dead.

    ***

    I received for review A Very Simple Crime by Grant Jerkins from Berkley Trade.

    A twisting debut novel of murder and dark family secrets from a riveting new voice in crime fiction.

    A murdered woman. A grieving husband. And their son-a mentally handicapped adult with a history of violent outbursts. A very simple case. Or is it?

    Leo Hewitt, an Assistant DA once blamed for setting free a notorious child-killer, is eager to redeem himself with this intimate and grisly crime. As he digs below the surface he discovers more than he ever anticipated-including an emotionally disturbed wife, a husband who'd do anything to escape his disastrous marriage, and an accused young man with no apparent means of defense. But with each shocking new revelation, Leo is only led deeper and deeper into the darkness-an inescapable trap of blood bonds and twisted family secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your books sound really good (and different). I read a book about family and alzheimers and posted a review about it as well. I'd like to read what your book is like.

    Please visit my own Mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These titles are all new to me and all sound very good. I'll be watching for your reviews on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These ALL look like good reads, and The Weird Sisters is getting remarkable reviews! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts