Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday Salon: Another check in on summer reading

As summer winds down, it's time for one last, late check in on how I'm doing with the list I created for myself just before Memorial Day. I'm not likely to finish everything still outstanding before Labor Day but I guess we'll see. What I've managed to read thus far is accomplishment enough though. Of course, as I noted the last time I checked in, I would also like to have these all reviewed by Halloween or so and that looks like a rather impossible goal from this vantage point but miracles do happen. In any case, here's what I've read so far:

Books I've read from the original list:

A Half Forgotten Song by Katherine Webb
A Far Piece to Canaan by Sam Halpern
Big Brother by Lionel Shriver
Out Love Could Light the World by Anne Leigh Parrish
The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth Silver
The Book of Someday by Dianne Dixon
David by Ray Robertson
Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck
The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell
Someone by Alice McDermott
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Sinners and the Sea by Rebecca Kanner
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Surprising Lord Jack by Sally MacKenzie
The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg
The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy
The Exiles by Allison Lynn
This Is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakuawila
Race Across the Sky by Derek Sherman
The Purchase by Linda Spalding
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Mary Coin by Marisa Silver
The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls
The House Girl by Tara Conklin
Dancing to the Flute by Manisha Jolie Amin
The Innocents by Francesca Segal
Happy Rock by Matthew Simmons
Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers by Louise Rennison
Topsy by Michael Daly
Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde


Books I've read not from the original list:

Love All by Callie Wright
Together Tea by Marjan Kamali
Stargazey Point by Shelley Noble
The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay
Love Potion Number 10 by Betsy Woodman
This Is Tomorrow by Caroline Leavitt
Royal Bridesmaids by Stephanie Laurens, Gaelen Foley, and Loretta Chase
Letters From Skye b Jessica Brockmole
Sea Creatures by Susanna Daniel
Autobiography of Us by Aria Beth Sloss
Equilibrium by Lorrie Thomson
The Group by Mary McCarthy


Original list books I'm still in the middle of reading:

Billy Budd and Other Tales by Herman Melville


Original list books I still haven't read:

A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About by Mil Millington
The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shobhan Bantwal

Obviously I've gone rather far afield from the list given the proliferation of titles under the "not on the original list" category but I've done pretty well overall with the original list as well. Only four books I haven't yet read (plus the Melville which could take me forever to plow through, short as it is). Not too shabby, I'd say. The reviewing, on the other hand, well, the less said, the better. ;-) How's your summer reading going as we head into the final stretch of summer?

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. I forced myself to read two books this summer....I grew to dread them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a list. Yours is even laughably longer than mine. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome! I really admire your list, and what is not already on my wishlist is being checked out to see if I should put it on. Thanks for sharing this and congrats on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I wish I'd put more effort into reading more, but I've been in a reading slump and just came out of it last week.
    Here's My Sunday Salon/Post

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts