Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Mailbox

Another collection of books that makes the question of "what should I read next" a more difficult one as they all beg to be read next! This past week's mailbox arrivals:

Faith Bass Darling's Last Garage Sale by Lynda Rutledge came from Megan at Amy Einhorn Books.
The richest woman in a small Texas town decides to sell all of her worldy possessions, including priceless heirlooms for a pittance. How can this not be intriguing?!

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan came from Picador because I won their Facebook fan page giveway.
A tale of love told entirely as dictionary entries? I completely and totally love these unusual sorts of narrative when they are well done and Levithan should be able to pull this off.

The Receptionist by Janet Groth came from Algonquin Books.
A memoir written by a longtime New Yorker receptionist who dreamed of being a writer herself one day, the story of her time there and the literary lions she knew so well sounds completely fascinating.

A Wedding in Haiti by Julia Alvarez came from Algonquin Books.
A very personal work about Alvarez's relationships with her parents, her husband, and a Haitian boy she meets and to whom she makes the promise that she will attend his wedding, I believe this one will be a tour de force.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Metroreader as she is hosting this month's Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

7 comments:

  1. The Lover's Dictionary sounds very interesting given how the story is told. I will look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice mix in your mailbox.

      http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/mailbox-monday_20.html

      Delete
  2. The first book sounds like it might be a fun read! Amy Einhorn books rarely disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy, these are all new to me. I've seen A Wedding in Haiti on a few blogs today. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mailbox list. Love the title of the first book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like some good ones. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts