Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Salon: School's out, less time to read?!

School finished up on Thursday. I give my kids a week before they are bickering so badly I want to sell them to the gypsies. But this first week out of school always has some pluses to it. I don't have to get up at sparrow fart to shoehorn the ratty little morning whiners out of bed (and then I still have to get the kids up). (Don't you love "sparrow fart?" My lovely friend who happens to be British uses it and I'm appropriating it.) I don't have to nag a soul about homework. I don't have to fight over bed time. Now it also has some minuses as well. The big one, of course, is that the kids are home 24/7. This cuts into my happy reading time like you wouldn't believe. I am well aware that my family thinks all I do all day is read and eat creme brulee (the eight year old actually wrote that in his Mother's Day card to me, god bless his pea-pickin' little heart). But what they don't seem to understand is that I am a far happier mom if I have some peaceful, uninterruted reading time. They'll learn though. Because when the bickering starts next week and I haven't been able to finish a book in over a week, they will get to test out the neighborhood kids' theory that my head does indeed spin 360 degrees. It's already been a long book-free weekend (1 tennis tournament, 2 dance recital shows, and a birthday party yesterday and another recital show today) so my patience is already terribly frayed. When do they go back to school?

As you might guess, my trips through books this week have been very limited and choppy. I went along with a vet as her marriage collapsed around her feet and she found solace in her creatures and in the truths of other people's relationships. I also learned some fun stuff about foreign phrases in our language. And I opened about 4 books to insert bookmarks but I haven't made much progress in them beyond sliding in the bookmark. Welcome summer. Now I'd like to get back to my regulalry scheduled reading!

8 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to squeeze in some reading time in between activities and bickering children. I know it won't be easy!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First week of vaca is always tough. Gets easier (for me) when I start letting the rules lax and develop blinders to kidling knockdown dragouts (oh and miraculously grow ear plugs to whining). FOudn Gil McNeil books this week which were a nice fast beachy type reads.

    By the way love the new look on the blog... very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less time to read, definitely. Happy Sunday Harvee
    My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "sparrow fart" expression, and I'm laughing at the image of your head spinning 360 degrees.

    I do recall those summers with kids...but from the perspective of having to get them to day care, because my day job still had me out the door early. Alas!

    But there were brief times when I was a stay-at-home mom, like for a year and a half after my daughter was born and I had the school age kids to deal with in their boredom.

    Okay...didn't mean to go on and on!

    Here's my salon:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/06/sunday-salon-june-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hoping to get a lot of reading done this summer--most if it while sitting out by the pool. We will have my stepdaughter for most of the summer though, whereas we only have her on the weekends during the school year, so that may affect my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids don't get out of school for two more weeks and two more days (not that I'm counting). It's funny- I drive a school bus, so I'm off work for the summer, BUT I can't seem to get any reading done!! That's why I love having a beach close by- I load up the kids and their stuff, and then I park myself on the sand with a book while they (fight) play! It seems to be the only way I can get any reading done!!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to tell you, Kristen, that the gypsies aren't buying children these days. Don't ask me how I know this. :-P

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen I'm so sorry I haven't been by in a while, this post is a reminder of how much I miss reading your blog. I just love your writing, you really do make me smile and when I got the visual of your head doing a 360 I think I giggle snorted :-)
    Hope you get a little reading time in before the head theory is tested.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts