Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Salon: Quick Takes On The Week

Headache this morning...caused by daylight savings time messing with my sleep pattern or the nasty slingshot weather going from cold and unpleasant to gorgeous and back again? You tell me.

Mixed doubles tennis practice this afternoon. Flashback to the first (and last season) hubby and I played together many years ago. Then: he hit me hard in the back with a serve. I was black and blue for weeks. Now: He hit me hard in the back of the calf with a serve. I am already black and blue and if I end up with varicose veins as a result of this, he's in big trouble.

Speaking of tennis, the oldest son played in his first high school match as a senior. They won. (Hubby and I split sets despite him trying to pull a Tonya Harding on me.) Came home to find cap and gown pictures of this child in the mail. They are not good. I have a hard enough time believing that he's graduating but these photos capture a pained rictus that doesn't even look like him.

Middle child drove herself to dance rehearsal and parked in an actual parking spot near other cars. It was such an accomplishment, she felt compelled to text me a picture.

Youngest child went to a friend's bat mitzvah last night. He came home with a hat that had "I'm awesome" air sprayed on it. He also came home with a shirt that had "Hey Ladies" air sprayed on it. He asked for both of these things; they were not standard. I do not understand this child at all. But this is another thing I have a picture of on my phone. I think someone should have to try and write a story based solely on the oddball pictures in my iCloud. It would be a doozy for sure.

Started several books. It's like throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks. I think I'm settling with George Hodgman's Bettyville. So far, I am finding it sad and beautiful and wonderfully written.

This past week in my reading travels, I was in Paris with the Post-Impressionists, a magical Colorman, and the muse Bleu on a crazy romp. I went to South India into the heart of the ivory trade as seen through the eyes of a poacher, a western documentary film maker, and an elephant known as the Gravedigger. I eavesdropped on 1922 London as a spinster's life is changed dramatically by the decision to take in paying guests. I am currently in Switzerland with a discontented ex-pat housewife and in a small Missouri town as a gay man takes care of his failing mother. Where have your reading travels taken you this week?

3 comments:

  1. Spent a lot of time in Guernsey this week -- and loved being there from 1890s to the 1960s. I'm not sure I would like it there now. I understand it's a tax haven and place for wealthy tourists.
    My husband played a lot of tennis. Semi-pro tournament. I played a little. I was never good enough to share a court. I think I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I liked how your last paragraph is where reading takes you for that week. Never saw that before. Mine took me into the demented mind of a disturbed child and madman in another country (name escapes me - see, I'm bad at this?) and onto a small make belief section of Louisiana where the houses were slowly becoming enclosed by sand.

    I like the result of this daylight savings time - an hour later of light - but hate losing an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids grow up so darned fast. And thank goodness for that.

    Death by tennis ball? Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts