Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday Salon

I spent 4 hours yesterday reading in the first National Readathon Day. I didn't ask anyone to sponsor me but I think I may fire them off a check myself since it's a great cause, one that clearly resonates with me. If you want to send one in my honor, in between puttering around with a bit of other stuff, I read 326 pages which meant finishing one book and reading almost half of another. The book I finished was the one I chose to read since my book club didn't pick it and the book I picked up after that was the one that happened to be closest to hand when I put the first one down. So I'm doing pretty well on the reading more randomly idea I cooked up. Now, just because I like to inject a little nuttiness into my world, I thought it would be fun to try and read a sentence. Yes, yes, books are made up of many sentences. I know. But that's not what I mean. I mean that, with the possible exception of the review books I already have on the calendar, it might be fun to pick a sentence and then find a book in my tbr mountain range that has one of the words in the title and read it. Obviously that means that I (or you, since I'm going to ask you to come up with the sentence) need to pick an unusual sentence. But let's not get too crazy. I mean, I don't think I have any books with the word xylophone or armadillo in the title and I am going to restrict the books to those I already have here. Note that this is not as much of a restriction as you might think (check my LibraryThing profile if you are worried about being too limited). So, any suggestions for sentences?

P.S. No idea how I'll choose a sentence if I get more than one suggestion but maybe I'll read them all. If I get too distracted to follow through, on one or more, you have my apologies in advance. ;-)

In my reading week, I started out in Iowa City with a woman who is searching for love and belonging. Then I traveled to Cuba where the name of a man who plunged to his death makes many of the inhabitants of Havana think that Castro is dead. After that, I went to Canada where the first woman to win an Olympic gold medal for Canada is now 104, confined to a wheelchair, and being filmed for a movie documentary by a young marathoner and her brother. Then I hurried off to Baltimore where two people try to see their romantic futures with odd results. Now I am in England in the Fens where a fifty year old man has received the heart of a sixteen year old boy and has another chance at life. Where have you gone on your reading travels this week?

6 comments:

  1. So...I have to ask what were the books you were reading yesterday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I could read that randomly. I hate it when I feel like I'm forcing myself to read a book.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/01/trees-and-thieves-and-twinkie-pie.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about using the last sentence of your last book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Godo for you being a part of the readathon! Next year I will have to add it to my calendar :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the Read a Sentence thing sounds fun!! Maybe use a favorite quote?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I drove to Canada, I regretted losing my son's passport, as I was not eligible for any carpool lanes without his presence.

    Is that a good sentence? It also explains why I didn't get to do the Readathon.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts