Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Salon: Serendipitous Reading

I have some elaborate ways to choose my next read, from review schedules to the dates I bought the books to book club deadlines. But I rarely just allow the reading vagaries to take me where they will. Even when I come across a reference to a book or an author and think, oh, I should read that now, I generally don't. Instead, I let my system retake me, reading on a schedule. And because of this, I sometimes forget how lovely it can be just to follow trail after trail with no clear sense of where you'll end up. But sometimes I do manage to break free and just hop from one book to another, like right now, and I discover again the pleasure of serendipitous reading.

On New Year's Eve, we went to a party, well, several parties but one in particular where I hadn't seen many of the people in quite a long time. Since everyone knows I read, that seemed to be the topic of choice for conversations with me. Not that I'm complaining; I am always happy to talk about books, probably for far longer than the average person cares to discuss them. In any case, it turned out that many of the women had all recently read Cheryl Strayed's Wild and then gone to see the movie together. I have had the book sitting on my shelf unread since it was in hardback and couldn't really contribute anything to any conversations about it or the book versus the movie. So I resolved to go home and pull it off the shelf, especially if other friends of mine are interested in seeing the movie at some point. I read it and it led me to the next book I opened: Margaret Drabble's The Summer-Bird Cage, another book I had sitting on my shelf unread for years, literally years. The path from one to the other? Strayed reads Drabble's novel (among others, all the rest of whom I had already read) while hiking.

And as a sort of universe reward sort of thing, when I opened the Drabble, I found an old (quite probably thirty or so years old) post card marking its pages. I had bought the book long ago at a used bookstore so I knew neither the sender nor the recipient of the post card but it was delightful all the same. There was nothing much of consequence on the card but I have always had a bit of a fascination with others' letters and I am enjoying using this one as a bookmark very much. I haven't finished the Drabble yet so I don't know where it might send me reading next and whether it will be the book that inspires the next thing I pick up or whether the inspiration will be the post card. Or maybe I'll hear or read about something else that directs me instead. I will, of course, have to hew to my schedule at some point but I hope to remember the joy of just sitting back and letting the current take me where it will as well.

Do you ever read this way, meandering from book to book as things present themselves? My reading this past week has taken me all over the place. I took a look at the way we determine and classify mental illness in animals. I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail while facing my life and who I want to be. I was kidnapped in Haiti because of my economic class. I met up with the daughters of a group of women about whom I had previously read. And I am in England with the acerbic and yet funny younger sister whose older sister has just gotten married. Where have your reading travels taken you this past week?

7 comments:

  1. Well, now you have to go and mention that after I've made a list of the first 12 books I want to read for the year. That sounds like a fun way of reading...at least for awhile, maybe not all the time. Of course, I haven't locked myself into these 12. The best intentions, after all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those days when your reading just wanders from book to book. Are you going to read randomly more often?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite enjoyed Wild when I read it—glad you finally picked it up and that it sent you off on another book adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly how I like to read. Want to read. Propose to read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meander is all I seem to do these days. I'm going to see Wild with my book club but I haven't read it. We read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry recently and I am interested in parallels: alcohol/drug use, a person dying, a spontaneous decision to take a long walk, lack of preparation, meeting people along the way, a spiritual journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've spent a good deal of time since the New Year in the 17th century, with folks who have supernatural powers, but spend most of their time trying to fit in amongst the people around them. It's made for very interesting reading experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year I vowed to stop"reading under pressure" and have read books in no particular order! I do still accept review books, but the authors that I'm in contact with usually understand that it could take me months to get to their book and they have all been incredibly understanding! I enjoy reading and blogging- on my own terms- far more now!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts