Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sunday Salon: How I'm Getting On

Two weeks ago I asked you all to choose my next read based solely on first lines. I have to admit I haven't been particularly good about following your advice as I had seven different books chosen (a couple were mentioned multiple times) and I've only managed to read one of those. But I thought I'd share what the books are in case any of you want to read them faster than I currently am! Here are the ones you chose for me:

1. I miss the pigs. (Michael Perry's Roughneck Grace)

3. They send girls like me to the crazy house--or simply stone us to death. (Maria Toorpakai's A Different Kind of Daughter) **This is the one I managed to read after you all chose it.

9. Fog encircled the island, a strangling grip, as search efforts mounted. (Kristina McMorris' The Edge of Lost)

12. Eliza spies the slim piece of card stock turned facedown in the mire, a perfectly formed rectangle lying on top of the slurry of mud and dung. (Ashley Sweeney's Eliza Waite)

13. When he found out his wife was unfaithful, Hector Castillo told his son to get in the car because they were going fishing. (Patricia Engel's The Veins of the Ocean)

14. It isn't what you know or don't know: it's what you allow yourself to know. (Helen Dunmore's Exposure)

19. How is it possible to bring order out of memory? (Beryl Markham's West with the Night)

I am still trying to get to these for you but in the meantime, I also sneaked in three just because I couldn't wait (or because they happened to be close at hand and I didn't want to get off the couch) books plus a book club choice. Now I'm back to reading a review book but I'll get back to this list soon. Cross my heart! Now if you could all poke at me to actually write some reviews!!!

This past week my reading travels took me around the world looking at the nudist/naturist culture. Then I read about a marriage from the inside perspective of the two people involved in it. Next I took a different look at marriage (from only one perspective this time). Then I went to Spain as a woman grieved her mother. Now I'm immersed in the food culture in Spain. Where did your reading travels take you this week?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED West with the Night. I read it this past summer and just about shivered with the beauty of it. Hope you get to it soon. (I voted for it, since I knew the first line!)

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts