Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday Mailbox

When you get home vacation and have a million things to put away, it's nice to have some new books in amongst all the laundry andassorted other detritus collected during your break. I have a luscious looking stack to wiggle into my shelves after going through all the backlogged mail. This past week's mailbox arrivals:

She's Gone Country by Jane Porter came from Crystal at BookSparks PR.
About a model who turns to the family ranch when her life seems to falling apart, this novel's incongruent premise completely strikes my fancy.

Sand in My Eyes by Christine Lemmon came from Crystal at BookSparks PR.
Stories about women finding themselves? I admit it, they are like crack to me. And this one looks like it will satisfy the addiction.

Commuters by Emily Gray Tedrowe came from Book Club Girl.
Septuagenarians who fall in love and marry, causing their family major consternation sounds like a storyline rife with possibility, doesn't it?

The Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley came from Sarah Terra Communications.
Iceland, myth, a family tale, what more could a reader ask for?

One Flight Up by Susan Fales-Hill came from Atria Books.
An ensemble cast of women behaving badly within and outside their relationships, I'm looking forward to dipping into lives so very different than mine.

Chronicles of a Midlife Crisis by Robyn Harding came from Elizabeth at Berkley/NAL.
This divorce tale sounds hilarious. The fact that it is told in alternating chapters so both perspectives are laid out for the reader makes it that much more interesting sounding.

The Penny Pinchers Club by Sarah Strohmeyer came from Elizabeth at Berkley/NAL.
Trying to save a marriage via saving money, this looks cute and entertaining (just as long as my husband doesn't get any ideas about cutting my book budget!).

Promise Bridge by Eileen Clymer Schwab came from Elizabeth at Berkley/NAL.
This novel looks like a very fresh take on the horrors of slavery with a young man and woman taking in an injured runaway slave on a plantation, hiding her in plain sight, until she is well enough to continue her journey.

Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa came from Algonquin Books.
I have always had a soft spot for immigrant literature so this one about a Portguese-Canadian father and son is definitely appealing.

The I Hate to Cook Book by Peg Bracken was a contest win from Reading at the Beach.
I don't hate to cook, in fact, but I do love cookbooks so I am looking forward to savouring my way through this one. And if the meals are easy to make and picky family friendly, all the better!


Out of the Shadows by Joanne Rendell came from Angela at NAL.
A woman discovers an unexpected link to Mary Shelley when she starts researching her genealogy. Haven't you always wanted to be connected to someone famous? I sure have and an author who is an acknowledged classic would be high on my list so this novel is incredibly intriguing.

As always, if you'd like to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Marcia at The Printed Page to see this month's host of Monday Mailbox and Kristi at The Story Siren who hosts In My Mailbox and enjoy seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic mailbox list! I liked She's Gone Country and have Commuters on my shelf. Enjoy all the wonderful books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Busy week! The Tricking of Freya was a really, really great book. Quite a yarn.

    I am hosting a give away on Rose City Reader for one of the books that came to my mailbox last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so many wonderful books....so little time!

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like some great books, especially The Tricking of Freya. Enjoy!

    I didn't get anything this week, which is probably just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had so many lovely books to come home to. The I Hate to Cook Book sounds like something I would like :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book set in Iceland has me curious. That is a very setting that you don't see too often here. I may have to read that! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a list of lady like books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...fabulous reading material there Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of great ones this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home!

    I really like Jane Porter's books - glad to see she has a new one out.

    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like you got some great books...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts