Thursday, April 1, 2010

Review: Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog by Lisa Scottoline

Mostly culled from Scottoline's Chick Wit column in the Philadelphia Inquirer, these brief essays are collected under the subtitle of The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman. And they are indeed ordinary adventures as most women readers will recognize the situations that Scottoline has written about, having experienced them themselves at some point. She uses her family and her own life as the basis for these very short (they were published in a newspaper after all) life pieces. While they provided some entertainment during the reading, they have been, unfortunately, very forgettable since then. And while I'm certain that I must have chuckled at least once, I cannot for the life of me pin it down and be certain of that. These are probably best for a "woman of a certain age" combined with those sitautions where you want to have a book in hand but must be capable of putting it down at a moment's notice. In other words, this would be perfect while standing in line at the DMV (which, come to think of it, she doesn't write about despite it being a place rife with comedic potential). Obviously not my favorite read of the month but others have found it hysterically funny so perhaps we just don't share the same sense of humor.

6 comments:

  1. such a fabulous title, but I am not sure I'd like this book. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this book for my mom for christmas, since she loves Scottoline!

    I think my mom will get a kick of this one. I may have to check it out myself later...when she's done of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While this wasn't my favorite read, I do think it's much funnier if you're closer to 50 than 30.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm a bit closer to 50 than 30, maybe I'll give this a go. :-) I do like the title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I just read a book of autobiographical essays by a woman close to 50, I think I've had enough for now. There sure are a lot of them, it seems.

    ReplyDelete

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts