Monday, April 22, 2019

Monday Mailbox

I took my youngest on college visits this spring break and I came home to an appalling number of books but many of them are up for consideration for Great Group Reads so I can't post them. Trust me when I say they look amazing. But the ones that came for review or just because that I can post look equally amazing. This past week's mailbox arrivals:

Bent but Not Broken by Don Cummings came from TLC Book Tours and Heliotrope Books for a book tour.

A memoir by a man afflicted with Peyronie's Disease, which is painful and causes a curvature to the penis, I am curious to read something so honest about a body part that we don't often discuss.

Waisted by Randy Susan Meyers came from TLC Book Tours and Atria for a book tour.

A novel about seven women who are the subjects of an extreme weight loss documentary, I am eager to see how fighting back against the exploitation of the filmmakers empowers these women.

The Wonder of Lost Causes by Nick Trout came from TLC Book Tours and William Morrow for a book tour.

A novel about what happens when on old and ugly dog arrives unexpectedly in the life of a single mom veterinarian and her chronically ill son, I'll bet this one will make me need tissues galore.

The Children's Bach by Helen Garner came from me for myself.

About a family, two parents and two sons, one of whom has autism, when a friend arrives with three charismatic companions, this novel sounds both threatening and promising.

Dictionary Stories by Jez Burrows came from me for myself.

Short stories based on words and sentences found in the dictionary, this promises to make my little word nerd heart sing.

Far Flung by Cassandra Kircher came from West Virginia University Press and Shelf Awareness.

These essays about nature and the wild, written by a former employee of the National Park Service, look completely fascinating.

Brides in the Sky by Cary Holladay came from me for myself.

I couldn't resist this based on the title and the old timey picture on the cover. Add in the themes of sisterhood and migration and I'm sold.

Yellow Stonefly by Tim Poland came from me for myself.

A fly fishing story with a female protagonist? Color me intrigued for sure!

Madame Victoria by Catherine Leroux came from me for myself.

A female skeleton was never identified despite facial reconstruction and knowledge of where she came from based on the food she ate so Leroux imagines twelve different stories for this forgotten women. Sounds cool, right?

If you want to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts