Monday, February 18, 2019

Monday Mailbox

This past three week's mailbox arrivals:

The Sisters Hemingway by Annie England Noblin came from TLC Book Tours and William Morrow for a book tour.

Do I really have to give you a reason why a book with three sisters named after Hemingway's wives would appeal to me? To be fair, stories about sisters just plain appeal to me but add in a nod to Hemingway and you have me hook, line, and sinker.

The Women of the Copper Country by Mary Doria Russell came from Atria.

Mary Doria Russell. ::swoon:: Upper Peninsula Michigan. ::double swoon:: Historical fiction by Russell and set in the UP, well, of course I will.

Mariana by Monica Dickens came from a friend for a book exchange.

Do you see this cover? Persephone Books does beautiful books and this is one of them. That it's a bildungsroman about a girl growing up in the 1930s is icing on the cake!

The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan came from a friend for a book exchange.

This sounds a bit like the book version of The Great British Baking Show and who can resist that?

Gold by Chris Cleave came from a friend for a book exchange.

Cleave's Little Bee was impressive and I'm looking forward to this one about two Olympians, friends and rivals, going for the gold and the sacrifices each woman has made and will continue to make to win.

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George came from a friend for a book exchange.

A book set on a bookshop barge on the Seine with an owner who can prescribe the right book for his readers, unable only to find the book to soothe his own soul, this looks captivating.

100 Dives of a Lifetime by Carrie Miller and Brian Skerry came from TLC Book Tours and National Geographic for a book tour.

I adore being under the water and probably wouldn't surface if I didn't have to. But since I still have to breathe air when the scuba tank is empty, a gorgeous book like this can keep me going until I can get back underwater. I feel certain it will add to the places I want to dive someday.

If you want to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts