Monday, August 27, 2018

Monday Mailbox

I had a rather large stack of books waiting for me when I got home from my summer away and then because re-entry is hard and slow (and filled with all of the things that can't be put off because school is starting again), I didn't get around to chronicling my stash so I've had to combine it with this past week as well. This past two week's mailbox arrivals:

White Dancing Elephants by Chaya Bhuvaneswar came from Dzanc Books.

A collection of short stories focused on women of color who face incredible hardships, violence, and racism, this looks really hard but important.

The Removes by Tatjana Soli came from TLC Book Tours and Sarah Crichton Books.

I've really enjoyed the previous books by Soli that I've read so I'm looking forward to this one about a teenage girl who survives an attack on her home, becoming a member of the Cheyenne tribe, and Custer's wife, a pampered and sheltered woman turned frontierswoman and camp follower. I reviewed her previous books as well: The Lotus Eaters, The Forgetting Tree, and The Last Good Paradise.

Midnight Blue by Simone van der Vlugt came from TLC Book Tours and Harper Collins.

I've already reviewed this one here.

Let Me Be Like Water by S. K. Perry came from TLC Book Tours and Melville House.

I've already reviewed this one here.

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris came from Harper Paperbacks.

A love and survival story from the Holocaust concentration camps, one involving the Jewish man forced to tattoo numbers on his fellow prisoners? This is intriguing for sure.

Designer You by Sarahlyn Bruck came from TLC Book Tours and Crooked Cat Books.

I've already reviewed this one here.

More Ketchup Than Salsa by Joe Cawley came from me for me.

Wouldn't you jump at the chance to buy a bar in Tenerife?  Well, maybe.  I'm glad I can read about it here rather than have to do it myself.

Where's Me Plaid by Scott Crawford came from me for me.

How can you pass up a cover with this dude on it? LOL! But I think this search for Scottish roots sounds like it will be a blast.

Perpetua's Kin by M. Allen Cunningham came from Atelier 26.

The back claims this is a "multi-generational mystery, reworking of Hamlet, and profoundly contemporary exploration of the American experience as one family embodies it." Sounds pretty amazing, right?

Old Baggage by Lissa Evans came from me for me.

Lissa Evans' Crooked Heart was a delight so I am greatly looking forward to this one about a female activist looking for something she can get behind.

A Cast of Vultures by Judith Flanders came from Minotaur Books.

A mystery featuring an editor? Well, heaven knows I can't possibly pass that up!

The Boat by L. P. Hartley came from me for me.

I'm pretty sure that someone on the Litsy app is the reason I ordered this story of a man who moves to an English village on the banks of a river and must come to terms with his own feelings and faces the opposition of the locals. The person who inspired me to get it described it far better than I just did because it sounded amazing.  (If you download and use Litsy, feel free to friend me; I'm BookNAround there.)

Congratulations, Who Are You Again? by Harrison Scott Key came from LibraryThing Early Reviewers and Harper Perennial.

This is Key's second memoir and this one takes the reader with him on his quest to fulfill his dream of becoming a writer. I can't wait to ride along!

Now Let's Dance by Karine Lambert came from me for me.

A translation from the French, this novel about two older people, both recently widowed, who meet and have a second chance for happiness and love, looks lovely.

Murder at the Flamingo by Rachel McMillan came from me for me.

A mystery set in a 1937 nightclub, this sounds decadent and entirely appealing.

Another Woman's Husband by Gill Paul came from TLC Book Tours and William Morrow.

A novel imagining a link between Wallis Simpson and Princess Diana? Be still my little royalty loving heart!

One Day in December by Josie Silver came from TLC Book Tours and Crown.

A book about love at first sight that takes ten years, this looks completely delectable.

The Songbird by Marcia Willett came from Thomas Dunne Books.

A family-by-choice filled, charming country novel, this gives me a warm feeling just looking at it. I'm looking forward to feeling the same way when I read it.

The Secret of the Irish Castle by Santa Montefiore came from TLC Book Tours and William Morrow.

The third in the Deverill Chronicles trilogy, I am looking forward to finding out the conclusion to the story. You can read my review of The Girl in the Castle and The Daughters of Ireland to see what the trilogy is all about.

The Silver Shoes by Jill G. Hall came from TLC Book Tours and She Writes Press.

A double stranded narrative tied together by a pair of sparkly rhinestone shoes? Oh yes, please!

If you want to see the marvelous goodies in other people's mailboxes, make sure to visit Mailbox Monday and have fun seeing how we are all doing our part to keep the USPS and delivery services viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had to disable the anonymous comment option to cut down on the spam and I apologize to those of you for whom this makes commenting a chore. I hope you'll still opt to leave me your thoughts. I love to hear what you think, especially so I know I'm not just whistling into the wind here at my computer.

Popular Posts